The first of March started with a trip to the hospital.  Last Monday I woke up coughing up blood.  Ugh.  Not a good sign.  I went to the ER and was admitted to the 10th floor – my home away from home.  They did a full blood work up and everything came back fine.  I had a CT scan and was told that the results looked much better than the CT I had last month when I went in with pneumonia.  I had a bronch and was told that there were no lacerations or anything noticeably abnormal except for the blood in my upper left lung, and my echo cardiogram was normal.  In other words, they have no idea why my lung was bleeding.

I was discharge on Wednesday afternoon – 2 nights and 3 days.  All in all, not bad for a hospital stay.  In the end they determined that the bleeding was probably due to my lingering infection.  I was sent home on a new anti-fungal and a new antibiotic.  The one piece of fun news is that my new anti-fungal requires me to digest it with ‘fatty and acidic’ foods.  Apparently this particular drug is really hard for the body to absorb.  The pharmacist told me that the best thing was to have it with a root beer float.  Fat from the ice cream and acid from the soda.  Now that’s what I’m talking about!

The fresh blood stopped on Thursday and coughing up of the old blood stopped yesterday.  So far my coughing has ebbed and my sputum is now back to my ‘normal’ bacterial yellowish green.  Probably too much information, but my point is that I’m getting better.  Not sure how I feel about being happy that my sputum is still colored, but hey it’s better than blood.

Other than my usual lung woes, my other news is that I had a great time at Stitches.  For those of you unfamiliar with Stitches, it’s a knitting conference that’s held every year around the nation.  Stitches West happens to be held in Santa Clara which is just a 45 minute drive down the peninsula.  Last year I went with Carol to the market.  Hundreds of vendors come from all over and sell their wares in a huge Costco sized room at the convention center.  This year I also took a class on intarsia knitting.  I had a good time with my friends and had fun learning something new – not to mention all the great yarn I bought.

I really wanted to go to New York this spring, but sadly that’s not going to happen with everything going on with my lungs.  Hopefully I’ll make it out there sooner than later.  Carol is coming up for 4 days during her school’s break so that should be fun.  Perhaps we’ll host a game night while she’s here.

Current projects on needles: the chevron scarf, a pair of socks – one down the other one to go , and a double knit hat.  Will post pictures when finished.